Board Game Online 2012 Overview
Wow! What a year it's been for Board Game Online! Looking back I can hardly believe how much we've managed to do this year. Let's give an overview of our accomplishment and then... let's take a look at what we'd like to do in 2013! Awww yeah!
What did we do?
I'm gonna keep this short. We...
...added seasonal content for:
- Friday the 13th
- Valentine's Week
- BGO's Birthday
- Star Wars Day
- The U.N.
- The Indians
- The Catapult
- The Saboteur Class
...added new events:
- The Pawn Shop
- The Beach
- The Tubes
- The Indian Casino
- The Spam Event
- The Academy of Adventure
- The Shady Dealer
- The Mystic Shop
- The Cave
- The Dragon
...added new functionalities:
- Lots of settings that are locally stored
- The ORLY and Trivia suggestions pages
- The Jukebox Top 100
- The Whisper and Team Chat system
- Customizable action timer and capped number of players
- A kick / ban system.
- ...and much, much more!
- ...added more than 50 new items.
- ...launched a whole new interface in June! (Special thanks to our artist YelloJello! -her website-)
- ...launched the BG Shop where donators can use special perks.
- ...added an Achievements system with about 200 achievements!
- ...received more than 6000 likes on Facebook!
- ...expanded the Jukebox from 7000 to more than 20,000 songs! (Thank you, Bert, Vamic and Hazzard!)
- ...gone from 12,000 unique players per month in January to 38,000 in December!
Unique active players per month The peak in June-July-August is due to the summer holidays. Most of our players seem to be in highschool or university. Likewise we see a sweet peak in December due to the winter holidays.
Was that short? I'm never sure. At the very least we're incredibly proud of everything we did in 2012. It's been a great year! But we're not done... oh no!
What are we gonna do?
We've got plans. Big plans! The new Cave and Dragon events have been greeted with enthusiasm by our community and we intend to make more content like this. More visual interactivity. More items usable in events! More rare and exciting options and secrets!
The biggest things we're definitely going to do:
- Build a multi-server system, allowing us to expand the game indefinitely. This will allow us to never worry about our poor server exploding and will allow us to make BGO grow!
- A complete website revamp. We're integrating game creation into the lobby and will greatly improve all aspects of the lobby and game management. You'll be able to see exactly which settings a game has before you join.
We've got way more plans, including new game modes, a friends / jerks list system and of course many new events and items using new game mechanics and web 2.0 techniques to make BGO more awesome than ever!
A big thank you to all our players and special thanks to all the generous donators who allow us to expand the game! We can't do this without you and you've given us hope for a bright and crazy future!With Love,
DysprosiumDy & Ano